Ending Atrocities and Discrimination Against Scheduled Castes /Scheduled Tribesis Our Top Priority: Dr. Virendra Kumar
Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Dr Virendra Kumar has launched a National Helpline Against Atrocities (NHAA)today. The Helpline is now available round the clock on the toll-free number “14566” across the country in Hindi, English and the regional language of the State/UTs.
The Helpline number will ensure proper implementation of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) [PoA] Act, 1989 and can be accessed by making a voice call /VOIP either from a mobile or landline number of any Telecom Operator across the country. The PoA Act was enacted with a prime objective view of preventing atrocities on members of Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs).
Available on Toll-free number “14566” Round the Clock in Hindi, English and Regional Language, the NHAA Ensures Proper Implementation of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989
Also available as a web-based self-service portal, the NHAA will generate informed awareness about the various provisions of the Prevention of Atrocities (PoA) Act, 1989 and the Protection of Civil Rights (PCR) Act, 1955 that are aimed at ending discrimination and providing protection to all. It will ensure that every complaint is registered as FIRs, relief is provided, all registered complaints are investigated and all charge sheets filed are prosecuted in the Courts for decision – all within the given timelines in the Act.
(a) Basic details about the Helpline:
• Toll-free service.
• It can be accessed by making a voice call /VOIP on “14566” either from the mobile or landline number of any Telecom Operator across the country.
• Availability of services: Round the clock
• Services would be available in Hindi, English and regional language of the State/UTs
• Mobile application is also available.
The NHAA will Ensure Registration of Every Complaint as an FIR, says Dr. Virendra Kumar
(b) Features of the Helpline:-
• Grievances redressal: Docket number shall be given for each complaint received from Victim/Complainant/NGOs regarding non-compliance of the PCR Act, 1955 and the POA Act, 1989.
• Tracking system: Status of the Grievance can be tracked by complainant/NGOs Online.
• Auto compliance of the Acts: Every provision of the Acts related to the victim shall be monitored and compliance shall be ensured by triggering communication/ reminders with State/UT implementing authorities in the form of sending messages / E-mails.
• Generation of awareness: Any inquiry shall be replied to by IVR or operators in Hindi, English and Regional languages.
• Dashboard for the States/UTs: KPIs of States/UTs will also be made available on the Dashboard itself on their performance towards the vision (stipulates reducing atrocity cases also) of the Centrally Sponsored Scheme which is meant for implementing the PCR Act, 1955 and the POA Act, 1989
• Feedback system is available
• Concept of a Single Point of contact has been adopted.
Disclaimer : This is an official press release by PIB.