Kanpur Airport to get a new Civil Enclave with an enhanced passenger capacity on 26th May 2023
Inauguration to be done by UP CM & Union Minister of Civil Aviation
In line with the Government’s commitment to ushering in ‘development through connectivity,’ Kanpur – the commercial capital of Uttar Pradesh is all set to get a new Civil Enclave. The new Civil Enclave at Kanpur Airport will be inaugurated on May 26 by Shri Yogi Adityanath, Chief Minister, Uttar Pradesh, and Shri Jyotiraditya M. Scindia, Union Minister for Civil Aviation and Steel.
Shri Yogi Adityanath, Chief Minister, Uttar Pradesh, and Shri Jyotiraditya Scindia, Union Minister for Civil Aviation and Steel will proceed to Kanpur airport for the inauguration of the new terminal together after unveiling the statue of Late Madhavrao Jivajirao Scindia in Mainpuri.
Key features of the New Terminal Building include:
- The New Terminal Building is built in an area of 6243 sqm (16 times bigger than the existing terminal) at a project cost of Rs. 150 Crore.
- Equipped to handle 400 passengers during peak hours, as compared to 50 passengers earlier.
- 08 check-in counters, ensuring efficient and expedited check-in processes for passengers.
- 03 conveyor belts, with one located in the Departure Hall and two in the Arrival Hall, facilitating smooth baggage handling and collection.
- A spacious concessionaire area covering 850 square meters, offering a diverse range of retail and dining options for travellers.
- Tactile path provisions have been made, ensuring accessibility and ease of navigation for passengers with visual impairments.
- On the city side of the terminal, there are 150 car parking spaces and 02 bus parking spaces, ensuring ample parking facilities for commuters.
- The newly developed apron is suitable for parking three A-321/ B-737 types of aircraft along with a new link Taxi Track of 713m X 23m.
The New Terminal Building’s area is 16 times bigger than the existing terminal
General (Dr.) V. K. Singh (Retd.), Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation and Road Transport and Highways, Shri. Satish Mahana, Speaker, Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly, Shri Nand Gopal Gupta ‘Nandi,’ Minister for Industrial Development, Export Promotion, NRI and Investment Promotion and Members of Parliament, Government of Uttar Pradesh, Shri Devendra Singh, MP (Lok Sabha) Shri. Satyadev Pachauri, MP (Lok Sabha) and Smt. Pramila Pandey, Mayor, of Kanpur Municipal Corporation, and other senior dignitaries will also be present at the event.
Kanpur is a prominent hub for leather, textile, and defence production industries, has many historical and holy spots, and houses various premier educational institutions like IIT Kanpur, National Sugar Institute, and UP Leather and Textile Technology Institute that attract air travellers in large numbers. At present, Kanpur Airport is directly connected to Mumbai and Bengaluru. With improved facilities, Kanpur, which is often referred to as ‘the Manchester of Uttar Pradesh,’ is likely to be connected to more cities of Uttar Pradesh and other parts of the country.
The terminal Building of the new civil enclave at Kanpur Airport is equipped with various sustainability features like a double insulated roofing system, provision of canopies for energy saving, LED lighting, low heat gain double glazing unit, rainwater harvesting to recharge the groundwater table, water treatment plant, sewage treatment plant and use of recycled water for landscaping, a solar power plant with capacity of 100 KWp and has been provided to meet GRIHA–IV ratings, a national green building rating system in the country denoting sustainable development and responsible resource management.
The façade of the Terminal Building in both the city and the airside depicts the temple architecture of the famous JK Temple of Kanpur. The interiors of the Terminal Building are based on various local themes such as textiles, leather industries and the city’s renowned public figures like poet Shyamlal Gupta and sage Maharishi Valmiki. The terminal has been designed to integrate the culture and heritage of Kanpur, and the state of Uttar Pradesh, thereby, creating a sense of the culture and history of the region for the visitors.
Disclaimer: This is an official press release by pib.