The Investor Education and Protection Fund Authority (IEPFA) under the aegis of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) organised an Investor Education, Awareness and Protection Conference in Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir today at Kashmir International Conference. The Conference was inaugurated by Chief Guest, Union Minister of State for Ministry of Corporate Affairs Shri Rao Inderjit Singh.
The event was also graced by Guest of Honour Dr Farooq Abdullah, Member of Parliament (Srinagar), Smt. Anita Shah Akella, CEO IEPF Authority & Joint Secretary, MCA, Shri Sanjay Shorey, Regional Director (Northern Region), Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Shri Hamid Bukhari Registrar of Companies (ROC) Srinagar and other dignitaries from the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir along with senior officials from IEPF Authority, India Post Payment Bank and Department of Posts, CSC e-governance, Institute of Company Secretaries of India, Kashmir Chamber of Commerce, Central Reserve Police Force.
During the inaugural session, Shri Rao Inderjit Singh and Dr Farooq Abdullah released various major initiatives of the IEPF Authority and MCA:
- IEPFA Mascot “Fundoo” which was selected through Jan-bhagidari after a month-long open contest on the MyGov platform. The mascot is conceptualised with an idea symbolizing IEPFA’s vision of taking investor awareness to the last mile with the objective of making it easier to connect with its message, mandate and initiatives.
- “Niveshak Didi” which is a unique endeavour of the IEPF Authority with India Post Payment Bank wherein Investor Education will be promoted in the “By the women, for the women” concept. The Niveshak Didi i.e. female Dakiya has an intense social connection to the rural population, especially women. Three representatives Niveshak Didi from the valley were given certificates by the Chief Guest and Guest of Honour during the Conference.
- “Niveshak Sarathi”, an investor awareness van was flagged by Shri Singh and Dr Abdullah and is an initiative by IEPFA to promote financial literacy among people in far-flung areas by spreading knowledge through dedicated audio-visual and print material & a specially designed van equipped with a TV display, public announcement system, internet connectivity etc.
- “Investors’ Handbook” – a concise compilation of information on savings, budgeting, and investments and provide a vast knowledge of financial instruments in capsule form thereby enabling them to make informed and sensible financial decisions.
- “75 dedicated IAPs” in the Union territory of J&K to involve stakeholders of different segments of society in the caravan of Investor Awareness.
During his keynote address, Shri Singh appreciated IEPFA’s initiative of conducting the Conference on Investor Education & Awareness in Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir. He also shared ideas, needs and the significance of spreading inclusive financial literacy, investor awareness & protection for overall economic growth and nation-building.
The inaugural session was followed by a technical session on Financial Literacy as a tool for Economic Development. The event was summed up with Nukkad Natak, a quiz and other related activities on Financial Literacy involving School Students and other diverse audiences. The conference was attended by around 650 delegates which included students, professionals, academicians, housewives, artisans, CRPF personnel, panchayat representatives and the general public from the UT of J&K.
IEPF Authority has been established under sub-section (5) of section 125 of the Companies Act, 2013 with the objective of promoting Investor Education, Awareness and Protection and the administration of the IEPF fund. It has undertaken a wide gamut of activities to accelerate the pace of investor education among the masses at large. To date, more than 65,000 Investor Awareness Programmes covering above 30 lakh citizens have been conducted by IEPFA. In addition, more than 28,000 claim refunds have been approved with the transfer of about 1.6 crore shares and related dividends.
Disclaimer : This is an official press release by PIB.