Glitches in 5G Services
Telecom Service Providers (TSPs) have started providing 5G services in the country from 01.10.2022 onwards and as of 26.11.2022, 5G services have started in 50 towns distributed over 14 States/ Union Territories.
As per the NIA for auction of access spectrum and license conditions, the minimum rollout obligations are required to be met over a period of five years in a phased manner from the date of allocation of spectrum.
In order to facilitate the faster and smooth rollout of telecom network (including 5G) and expansion of telecommunication infrastructure in the country, the Government has taken the following policy initiatives:-
- Making sufficient spectrum available for mobile services through an auction
- Allowing spectrum sharing and trading
- Removal of additional Spectrum Usage Charge (SUC) of 0.5% for spectrum sharing
- Allowing sharing of infrastructure by the TSPs
- Notifying Indian Telegraph Right of Way (RoW) Rules, 2016 dated 15.11.2016 for regulating underground infrastructure and overground infrastructure and amendments (including Indian Telegraph RoW amendment rules, 2022) thereof.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Communications, Shri Devusinh Chauhan in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today.
Disclaimer: This is an official press release by PIB.