Indian Railways deploy additional rakes to transport coal to power plants
To ensure a swift supply of coal across power plants, additional trains and rakes by Indian Railways have been initiated to augment the transportation of coal through its network. Indian Railways has ramped up the coal transportation resulting in 32% more coal freight loading between Sept 21 – and March 22. There has also been an increase in 10% freight, by efficiently mobilizing resources after April 22.
During the year 2021-22 Indian Railways has augmented the transportation of Coal through Railways by a record 111 Million tonnes and loaded a record 653 Million Tonnes of coal as compared to 542 million tonnes in the previous year i.e. a growth of 20.4 %.
During 2021-22, Coal Supply through Railways witnessed a record 111 million tonnes
Further, during the period Sept-21 to Mar-22 loading of coal to the power sector was augmented by 32% in just 2 quarters.
In April 2022, IR has taken many steps to prioritize the loading of coal to the power sector which has led to increasing in the supply of coal by more than 10 % within one week time.
Many steps have been taken to prioritize the loading of coal to the power sector
This improvement has been possible due to various measures undertaken by Indian Railways some of which are listed below :
- The movement of Coal trains has been prioritized and each and every train is being intensively monitored during the entire cycle from Loading to movement and finally unloading.
- Through this prioritization and monitoring the Transit time of coal trains to long-distance Power has been reduced significantly by 12-36% for critical power plants.
- Indian Railways has prioritized the movement of coal to long-distance Powerhouses as well which is reflected in the fact that the average lead of coal trains has increased by 7 % in the last 5 days as compared to the average leads of 1st to 10th April.
- Despite this increase in the average lead of coal trains the time taken between two successive loading of the same rake for these stocks has been reduced by 10%.
- With these operational innovations, Indian Railways has augmented the supply of coal trains to Powerhouses as well as has loaded more coal rakes on a sustained basis.
Disclaimer : This is an official press release by PIB.